Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Depression, Anxiety, and Lupus

Okay, so yesterday I didn't go to work, again, on a Monday. In case you didn't know, I teach middle school. Yes, that is enough to make any person not want to go to work, but I have been teaching for 15 years now and have never felt this way before. Sunday night I start to feel nervous, my chest feels tight, and my mind starts racing so much I get very little sleep, so I end up not going to work on Monday. I am starting to notice it has been getting progressively worse. The thought of going to work makes me sick.

At the beginning of the year, I had a particularly difficult class and I started to have all the symptoms of a heart attack and I even had my husband take me to the emergency room just to hear I was having a panic attack. You have to understand that this is just not me! I am a stable person and all of a sudden I have anxiety?!

So, the very next time I visited the rheumatologist, I spoke to her about my symptoms and I was prescribed Xanax and told to take it only when needed. The problem is I feel this way every single day I have to go to work. Now, isn't it bad enough that I have Lupus with all it's complications, Sjogren's Syndrome, Hypothyroidism, and Fibromyalgia, now I have to contend with mental health issues like anxiety?! What a bummer! This anxiety is making me depressed! (which I already take medication for by the way!)

So I am at work with my students today and once I get here it is not so bad, but getting here takes hours of talking to myself. I have to mentally drag my butt to work. It sounds strange but it is true. I lie in bed and tell myself, 'you need to get up', 'you are going to get fired,' 'think about the house,' and 'it won't be so bad just get up.'

Am I the only person with Lupus who is literally scared to go to work?!!!

2 comments:

  1. Claudia thank you so much for sharing and please know that you are not alone as I too deal with the same issues. I have Lupus and Sjogrens. You constantly wonder is the Lupus the meds or just in my head. Stay strong and do the best you can, try not to be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comments....it sounds kind of awful but it is comforting to know others understand how I feel.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.