Saturday, December 29, 2012

Netflix is my new best friend

Christmas is over (yay!), and even though I have been in bed for days I have to say that on the bright side, I have fallen in love with Netflix. Yes, the hectic spirit of Christmas made me fall into a multiple day hibernation period, but as I woke from this groggy slumber, I came to realize how awesome Netflix is for people with Lupus. 

First, when I am in bed for days, instead of feeling sorry for myself I can turn it into a positive by starting and catching up on a new series. Just this past month when I was experiencing some serious pain I stayed home and discovered the show Scandal. That was a bad week for me but I actually got through season 1 and 2 and I am no anxiously awaiting the new season. Also, after the Christmas season/beat down, I have discovered a hilarious show called The League that leaves me laughing so much I forget about my pain. It's great! I am currently on season 3 of that show.

 Now let's say that you fall asleep, the show is there paused for you to pick up whenever you wake up or feel better. It has made my bad times better, I just pick up where I left off or start a new show. Now experiencing a flare has a positive twist to it: yes I feel like crap, but I will be able to watch something interesting, or funny, or scandalous. 

Over the past year and a half that I have known that I have SLE or Lupus, I have come to one realization: we are people-pleasers who refuse to focus on ourselves. So, if we have this disease that hurts us and takes from us, the least we could do is enjoy ourselves once in a while. Who says that you have to be miserable in bed? Eight bucks a month has made my time in bed so much better. You deserve it! We deserve it! 

So if you do not already have it, or if you do and do not take advantage of it, do it now. While I have been killing myself working, and raising my kids I have been missing out on some good entertainment. And boy does it beat lying in bed feeling miserable and guilty because I am in bed! I am in bed because I am sick and I am going to watch Netflix to help me feel better. If anyone has a problem with that....tough shit! Netflix is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.