Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Great Day to Start a Blog

I found out I had Lupus about two months ago and it has been interesting to say the least. For one thing, I finally feel validated! You can't imagine how many times and how many doctors looked at me like a crazy hypochondriac..I knew something was wrong but for years all the tests were "normal". Then the diagnosis and I felt thrilled and terrified at the same time! People with lupus die! This is an incurable disease, but at least I am not crazy!
I also found out that nobody really cares as much as I do. I don't mean to sound like a baby, but what I mean  is that although this disease could kill me, no one else really thinks it is all that bad. I guess if it were cancer it would carry more weight. 
The past few weeks I have felt so alone with this disease. The only people who understand are the people who have Lupus and are on the Lupus support group chat rooms. It's funny that perfect strangers could make me feel so much better and my husband and family make me feel worse!
So, I decided I needed to start writing. I teach reading so it seems right. Maybe no one will ever read this, but if anyone does they might learn a little about Lupus and spread the word. More than that, it will help me keep track of all my crazy symptoms. So, here goes; the first post of many more to come. It seems like the perfect day to start this being that I have had an almost perfect day: minimal pain, I had enough energy to cook a meal, I am finally off steroids, and I was able to go to the bathroom. (Don't gross out; if you couldn't go, you would be cheering too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.